Sunday 8 August 2010

'Hard Evidence', Eh..?

Parents who smoke in cars in front of small children are "committing a form of child abuse", a leading GP has said.
Hmm, I think all that money they were paid under the last government went to some of their heads...
Professor Steve Field, chairman of the Royal College of General Practitioners, has condemned society's attitudes to food, alcohol and cigarettes.
Evidently, no GPs ever smoke or drink or are too fond of takeaways...
In a letter to the Observer newspaper, he said parents had to take more responsibility for their children's health - and set a good example.

He said irresponsible behaviour led to high levels of disease and early death.

He called on parents, mothers-to-be, the obese, smokers and drinkers to turn into healthy role models for their children.
'Do it! Do it for the children!'

The thing that really made me choke on my cornflakes (with full fat milk) is this, though:
He said GPs based the advice they gave on hard evidence.
Hahahahahahaha....

*pauses for breath*

Hahahahahahaha....

Cheers, doc! For a minute there, I laughed so hard I clean forgot about the alcohol 'limits' based on sod all evidence, the reliance on BMI in a 'one size fits all' policy, the way actual evidence that is politically unfortunate is promptly ignored, etc, et-bloody-cetera.

Can't wait to see Dick Puddlecote and Leg-Iron tear this pompous cretin a new one...

Update: Longrider gets there first.

6 comments:

Man with Many Chins said...

I tried posting a comment on the sky news version of this story, but 2 hours later it hasn't got through moderation yet. Might be due to the fact that I referred to this clown as a hectoring eugenicist!
P.S the sun is still shining here lol

Longrider said...

Looks like there will be several of us having a go...

bnzss said...

'He said irresponsible behaviour led to high levels of disease and early death.'

I rather thought life expectancy was rising...

RAB said...

I rather thought life expectancy was rising...

Well quite.

When I was a kid everybody smoked everywhere, in cars, buses, planes, the cinema, the pub of course.

My parents smoked, mum is now 86 and dad died aged 82. My gramp smoked a pipe so lethal that we had to get two blokes in nuclear suits from Selafield to come round every night to put it out for him. He was 90 when he died, oh and they all liked a drop too.

According to this clown, we should all be dead now, but funnily enough we aint. Cretinous killjoy asswipe!

Angry Exile said...

Most people who've worked in a pub at some stage will probably have had a chain smoking borderline alky medico propping up the bar (I've dealt with three that I know of). Physician, go fuck thyself, thou hypocritical wanker.

JuliaM said...

"I tried posting a comment on the sky news version of this story, but 2 hours later it hasn't got through moderation yet."

The 'Mail' can be liike that too.

"I rather thought life expectancy was rising..."

Quite so...

"When I was a kid everybody smoked everywhere, in cars, buses, planes, the cinema, the pub of course."

Indeed. If 2ndary (&third-hand) smoke was so dangerous, how come anyone from that era is still around?

Incidentally, watched a doco on the Military History Channel yesterday - fascinating old newsreel footage. One chap, doing a piece to camera from the deck of a warship monitoring the Bikini Atoll tests, stopped mid-speech to light his pipe!

I exoect if anyone did that now, the resultant fury of the anti-smoking brigade would register as at least 23-24 megatons...

"Most people who've worked in a pub at some stage will probably have had a chain smoking borderline alky medico propping up the bar (I've dealt with three that I know of). "

What's that old definition of an alky? 'Someoner who drinks more than his doctor', isn't it? ;)