Friday 9 December 2022

Why The CPS Isn't Fit For Purpose...

Following the incident, the Independent Office for Police Conduct began an investigation that concluded PC Welch may have committed a criminal offence due to the standard of his driving. However, the Crown Prosecution Service determined the threshold for bringing charges was not met but following two reviews, the CPS pressed charges against PC Welch in May 2021.

And the jury said 'You must be joking!': 

PC Edward Welch, attached to South Command Unit was acquitted on Wednesday, December 7 following a trial at the Old Bailey.

So there's an end to the matter? Well, no: 

South Area Commander Chief Superintendent David Stringer said: “The deaths of Rozanne Cooper and her 10-year-old nephew Makayah McDermott have naturally left their families devastated.
“Our thoughts remain with them and we offer everyone affected by this terrible incident our sincere condolences.
“Police pursuits must be carried out in very careful and controlled circumstances in line with policy to ensure they do not put anyone at risk.
“The jury has found PC Welch did not commit a criminal offence but misconduct matters will now be carefully considered.”

Guess it's not just the CPS that's not fit for purpose... 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"They arrested Dobby in a nearby garden."

Call for Harry Potter!

John M said...

Waiting for the next time some Police Chief appears on TV to moan about how there is no respect for the Police any more...

Anonymous said...

If I've bored you with this post before then I apologise.
I was on duty the day of this crash. The stolen car had been involved in crime on my borough recently and we were all looking out for it. A foot patrol PC saw it drive past him and radioed his sighting. I was a couple of miles away and he was heading towards me (I was driving). I assigned myself to head him off.
By a huge quirk of fate the criminal did a U turn and headed in the opposite direction towards Penge be picked up by the other car. I drove in the general direction but wasn't involved in the pursuit.
I attended the crash scene soon after and it was devastating. The criminal had driven into the family and ran away but was caught nearby. I assisted at the accident until the end of my shift.
Someone upstairs must have been looking out for me that day as I could have been the one going through hell for six years whilst the CPS got their pound of flesh.
We all know that Professional Standards (scum) will be looking at this now and as for the mealy-mouthed Chief Super;I have no words to describe him adequately
Jaded.

JuliaM said...

"Waiting for the next time some Police Chief appears on TV to moan about how there is no respect for the Police any more..."

You won't wait long...

"We all know that Professional Standards (scum) will be looking at this now and as for the mealy-mouthed Chief Super;I have no words to describe him adequately"

I do. But this is (pretending to be) a family blog!