Tuesday 15 August 2023

Normal For Norfolk..?

Former road police officers from Norfolk Constabulary have described their 'disbelief' at the 'appalling' scandal which saw a patrol car drive off without stopping after causing a 50mph crash.

Well, that officer is for the chop surely? 

He faced criminal charges but they were dropped after he said he was suffering from amnesia at the time of the crash on March 5 last year.
*blinks*
Although PC Warren has had his driving and firearms permits revoked, he remains on the force.

He's an armed officer!?  

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself... "
The former officer was also critical of PC Ryan Hargrave, who was a passenger in the police vehicle at the time, but who did not report the crash until the following day, meaning his colleague could not be breathalysed.

Oh, really...? That's fortunate, eh, Reader? 

The extraordinary case has prompted Norfolk's chief constable Paul Sandford to issue a statement, admitting the incident “reflects poorly on the constabulary” but insisted it had “taken what action we can in response to it”.

If so, Suella's really got her work cut out... 

Norfolk's police and crime commissioner, Giles Orpen-Smellie, said he saluted Mr Sanford's honesty and insisted the public can be reassured by his statements.

Are you, public? I'm not, but thankfully I don't live in Norfolk. 

H/T: Peter Wells via email

6 comments:

CJ Nerd said...

I wouldn't worry about it, Julia.

I'm sure incidents like that in Norfolk can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

MTG said...

As far away as Yorkshire, you get an occasional whiff of Norfolk's orpenly smelly stuff.

Sobers said...

What difference does it make if he was suffering from 'amnesia' at the time? He was there, he did it, they have all the evidence to prove that categorically, so what difference does it make if he 'can't remember' anything about it? Does this mean that if you murder someone and claim you can't remember a thing afterwards that you get off scot free?

Its just another case of one law for the police and one for everyone else.

Bucko said...

I'm reassured that if I were to do the same, they'd throw the key at me

Sobers said...

It occurs that according to this precedent anyone can drive away from an accident in Norfolk now, and just claim amnesia afterwards, and not face prosecution. I mean that's surely what will happen to ordinary members of the public if they try the same trick won't it?

JuliaM said...

"I'm sure incidents like that in Norfolk can be counted on the fingers of one hand."

*chuckles*

"What difference does it make if he was suffering from 'amnesia' at the time? He was there, he did it, they have all the evidence to prove that categorically, so what difference does it make if he 'can't remember' anything about it?"

I guess they are claiming he instantly forgot he'd hit someone, but I don't think amnesia works quite like that...

"I'm reassured that if I were to do the same, they'd throw the key at me"

Well, quite!

"I mean that's surely what will happen to ordinary members of the public if they try the same trick won't it?"

😏