Tuesday 1 June 2010

Want Some Graffiti Cleaned Up Quickly?

Well, slip the Chief Executive of your council (or a nearby council, it doesn't seem to matter) the money, and it shall be done!

Oh, wait. It might help to be a councillor:
Shortly before the elections on May 6, Conservative councillor Anna Waite (Ed: Yup, her again...) had “Vote Labour” sprayed across the wall at her home in Barling, which falls under Rochford District Council’s remit.

She admitted workers from Southend cleaned the paint off, but said she paid for the work.

Mrs Waite said: “Yes, Southend Council workers did clear the vandalism, but I did pay for the work to be done.

“I wanted it done quickly. I approached Rob Tinlin, I stressed I didn’t want any favours, he said he would deal with it. I paid about £150 to have the work done.”
You 'didn't want any favours', eh..? So I guess this is a service available to all council ratepayers and residents, so long as they pay?
Mr Tinlin backed up Mrs Waite’s account of the events.

He said: “What she said is correct. The issue was left with me and it was my decision to use council resources, for which she paid for, to help a Southend councillor.”
Well, then we know who should lose their job for misuse of council resources...

6 comments:

AntiCitizenOne said...

During an election this seems OK to me.

RantinRab said...

I'm sure there are numerous companies around who could have dealt with her 'problem'.

The fact that she approached the council shows a stunning lack of self awareness. She deserves all the flack she gets.

Sgt Pepperspray said...

I paid about £150 to have the work done? So she is so fiscally stable that she pays for work to be done but does not know exactly how much she paid? I think a quick look through the councils books are in order on this one. I wonder how many other jobs the council have done for a quick bung.

Brian, follower of Deornoth said...

Spray something racist on top of the graffiti on your wall, and they'll be round to clear it off in no time.

Joe Public said...

£150 would pay for 1 operative for (approx) half a day.

If it didn't take that long, then the Council made a profit; if it took much longer, someone has to justify the charge.

JuliaM said...

"During an election this seems OK to me."

If it had been her own council staff, I might agree.

"The fact that she approached the council shows a stunning lack of self awareness."

Also the fact that she considers the ability to approach the CEO of another council and have him agree to not be 'a favour'...

"So she is so fiscally stable that she pays for work to be done but does not know exactly how much she paid? "

Yup. She's a politician, all right...