Saturday 16 May 2020

"What Are You Rebelling Against...?"

"Well..."


The idea of naming wild plants wherever they go – which began in France – has gone viral, with people chalking and sharing their images on social media.
... 
Presseq told the Guardian: “I wanted to raise awareness of the presence, knowledge and respect of these wild plants on sidewalks. People who had never taken the time to observe these plants now tell me their view has changed. Schools have contacted me since to work with students on nature in the city.”
The concept of 'rebel botanists' gave me a chuckle, anyway. And of course, it's not confined to France. It's happening here:
One anonymous London tree name chalker said: “I’ll keep labelling as I go on my daily walks. I think it’s really tapped into where people are right now.
“Botanical chalking gives a quick blast of nature connection, as the words encourage you to look up and notice the tree above you, the leaves, the bark, the insects, the sky. And that’s all good for mental health. None of us can manage that much – living through a global pandemic is quite enough to be getting on with. But it’s brought me a great amount of joy.”
As has this article, frankly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it was me, I might have chalked weed, weed, weed (no, not that sort) ...

Stonyground said...

Well, as long as you are getting your botanical facts right, it seems like a pleasant and pretty harmless idea. Why the concept of mental health has to be inserted into the conversation I'm not quite sure, but still.

Anonymous said...

Those doing this should be aware that the Police might descend in fury and fine them for this crime. Especially if they are decent folks and have savings or property to pay the fines. If they are feckless no goods with nothing who don't care then it will be ignored.

Flaxen Saxon said...

As an ex-botanist I can't see how the exercise is good for mental health. As I'm a pretentious twat I'm tempted to use the Latin Linnaeus system. Thus the noble dandelion would become: Crapus weedus.

JuliaM said...

"If it was me, I might have chalked weed, weed, weed (no, not that sort) ..."

Heh! But there's an app you can get now that IDs from a snap!

"...it seems like a pleasant and pretty harmless idea. Why the concept of mental health has to be inserted into the conversation I'm not quite sure, but still."

It's the latest 'craze'...

"As I'm a pretentious twat I'm tempted to use the Latin Linnaeus system. "

*chuckles*