Tuesday 20 November 2018

*Munches* Hmmm, Better Than A Linda McCartney Veggie Sausage, I Suppose...

Barbecued bugs are are going on the shelves of British supermarkets as Sainsbury’s becomes the first big UK grocer to stock edible insects.
I'm sure there's lots of little shops that stock them unwittingly!
The retailer will start selling roasted crickets – described as “crunchy in texture with a rich smoky flavour” – in 250 of its stores from Monday, capitalising on the growing prominence of bush tucker in the global warming debate.
Incredibly, it seems we aren't falling to our knees in praise of the likes of Marcel Dicke for this 'opportunity', so much as Ant & Dec...

Or...are we?
The packaging for the crunchy crickets, made by London-based Eat Grub, deploys the environmental argument in a bid to win over shoppers who might balk at bugs for lunch.
Is there no nonsense the hipsters won't believe if it just has the words 'global warming' on it? They truly will swallow anything! 

4 comments:

Flaxen Saxon said...

Can't say I'll be queuing up with the 'right on' brigade for this particular delicacy. If I'm going to eats bugs, I'll collect the little buggers myself.

Stonyground said...

Asda used to do some really good veggie sausages, much better than McCartney ones and certainly better than eating bugs.

Being a keen cyclist I eat bugs all the time during the summer though not intentionally.

Andy said...

Turn over a log, dry it out and burn it on the fire when the solar minimum starts twisting knickers. Any grubs beneath could be cowering eejits.

JuliaM said...

" If I'm going to eats bugs, I'll collect the little buggers myself."

Well, quite! You can't be too careful! :)

"Being a keen cyclist I eat bugs all the time during the summer though not intentionally."

You trendsetter! ;)

"Turn over a log, dry it out and burn it on the fire when the solar minimum starts twisting knickers. "

We seem to be back with the dire predictions of the Seventies, about a new Ice Age, dob't we?