Friday 9 April 2010

Won’t Get Fooled Again..?

Families face stricter recycling demands, tougher fines and having to use smaller wheelie bins under new waste disposal targets.

Tighter controls on how much rubbish households can leave out are on the way, following new proposals agreed between town hall chiefs and Whitehall.
Ahhh, and you thought it had gone away, didn’t you?
Details of the new rubbish targets were disclosed by ministers just as Labour backed down over plans to make every household keep a kitchen slopbucket in the name of recycling.

The slopbuckets emerged as a Whitehall favourite after public hostility halted the move towards fortnightly collections of rubbish.

Around half the country has fortnightly bin pickups and compulsory recycling - but the spread of the system has stopped in the face of opposition and a voter backlash at council elections.
It hasn’t ‘stopped’. It’s just been put on hold.

As soon as May 7th hoves into view, it’ll be all systems go once again.

No matter who walks through the door of No. 10.

5 comments:

Jiks said...

A small business owner I know told me it would be cheaper to fly-tip his business waste, get caught and fined than have it collected by the council ... and it seems domestic rubbish is going the same way.

All targets are bad IMO but the way refuse is being handled is particularly classy. Net results? People having to keep their bins locked away till the binmen arrive to prevent anyone else putting the wrong stuff in and getting them fined, countryside awash with refuse, spread of disease, etc, etc...

MU said...

I wonder when we'll reach the point where the capacity for rubbish disposal isn't enough to compensate for the need to eat

SpiteK said...

I'd rather waste my time making sure that all of my rubbish has no identifying marks on it and leaving it in the middle of the road where the council have a statutory duty to clear it up than waste my time sorting my shit into piles for them.

Mr Ecks said...

Remember that the scum of the EUis behind all this.

JuliaM said...

"A small business owner I know told me it would be cheaper to fly-tip his business waste, get caught and fined than have it collected by the council..."

It can't be long before more and more people stsrt to think like that. It's worked for benefit claimants who realise working doesn't pay, after all...

"I wonder when we'll reach the point where the capacity for rubbish disposal isn't enough to compensate for the need to eat"

If we keep tying our hands behind our back like we do, not long at all...

"I'd rather waste my time making sure that all of my rubbish has no identifying marks on it..."

Yup. It can be done.

"Remember that the scum of the EUis behind all this."

Which is what makes me think that it'll continue even after regime change...