Saturday 26 April 2014

It Appeals Because Many Of Those Minds Aren’t

sharp, that is:
For those immune to the draw of the bright lights of Vegas, or who see gambling as a "tax on stupidity", it may be hard to understand why it appeals to so many of the country's sharp young minds.
Hmmm, let’s hear their stories, then:
"After receiving my student loan payment one day, I took a large chunk of it and decided to have a really good go at making some money online. I got on to a winning streak, and before I knew it I had thousands in my gambling account. Unfortunately I was only allowed to make small withdrawals per day, and when I went back to the site the following day to make the next withdrawal,
I decided to see if my luck was still in/b>. I lost my remaining funds within an hour."
Sharp as a billiard ball, that one…
"It's time to open up a conversation about gambling in universities," says Trevor David, Gamcare's lead training and development consultant.
"For the first time, student finance officers have been coming to us and requesting we come to events and give information to students," David continues.
"Universities seem to be becoming aware that there is a growing problem."
Yes, but not with gambling, per se. It’s with the growing number of people for whom ‘deferred gratification’ is an alien concept.

7 comments:

Jim said...

Thats the one thing that we should be teaching children more than anything else, the concept of deferred gratification. I'm convinced that the difference in life outcomes for people in the UK today, given all the help and assistance that is available, comes down to that concept. Those that understand it get on in life, those that don't, fail.

DJ said...

Good rule of thumb: when ever a lefty demands that we 'open up a conversation', they actually mean a monologue.

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose he was doing Maths at uni? You know - all that stuff about probabilities and that the only way to win at roulette is to own the wheel?

If so, God help us all; this is our new ruling class.

CJ Nerd said...

The best maths lesson I ever had was when the teacher, of his own initiative, decided to take us through the maths of gambling.

It was enough information in 40 minutes to set me up for a lifetime of rolling my eyes and going DUH! whenever it was suggested that I gamble my hard-earned cash.

It wasn't on any syllabus, but perhaps it should be.

CJ Nerd said...

PS- I didn't get where I am today by not understanding deferred gratification.

andy5759 said...

Gambling is risk versus probabilities. Betting with a degree of certainty of the outcome is preferable. Games of (some) skill bias towards those with skill tend, over the long term to reward skill over lady luck. Be good at what you do, choose when and where to test your skill wisely and you ought not enrich the "book". Winners don't take money from the book, winnings are paid by losers. Just don't expose yourself to being a loser.

JuliaM said...

"Thats the one thing that we should be teaching children more than anything else..."

Amen!

"Good rule of thumb: when ever a lefty demands that we 'open up a conversation', they actually mean a monologue."

Spot on!

"It wasn't on any syllabus, but perhaps it should be."

Indeed so.