Tuesday 1 April 2014

No, This Isn’t ‘Despair’…

Alex Hollinghurst, 17, originally from Manchester, was found dead with boyfriend Brandon Goode, 18, near where Officer Robert German was fatally shot.
He had called for back-up as he investigated the presence of a suspicious man and woman in a gated community in an affluent suburb of Orlando. She left letters for her mother, father and 12-year-old sister.
The letter to her mother showed the depths of her despair. “I could write to you for days, but I know nothing would actually make a difference to you,” she said.
That’s a nicely selective extract. Why not report the full details, like other newspapers?
In a foul-mouthed tirade Alex called her mum, 49, a “waste of space and ignorant” .
Ah. I see why, now. Because that doesn’t sound like ‘despair’, does it? Nor does this:
“If I had stayed another minute I would have painted the walls and stained the carpets with my blood, so you could clean it up.”
I wish I were never born.”
Nope, that’s not despair at all. That’s teenage angst and narcissism.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Given half the chance, would this little flower have used the Cinderella Law to make her parents even more unhappy?

Ian Hills said...

Yes, but mum could then have heaped all the blame on dad for domestic emotional abuse (sic).

JuliaM said...

"Given half the chance, would this little flower have used the Cinderella Law.."

In a New York minute!

"Yes, but mum could then have heaped all the blame on dad for domestic emotional abuse (sic)."

Good point... :(