Councillor James Holmes, who represents Trinity ward, where the park is located, reassured residents that this sort of crime remains very rare in the area.
He said: “What happened is obviously a very upsetting incident and it’s bound to be a worry for local residents.
He added: “It appears to be an isolated incident. It’s important not to treat it as anything other than that unless there’s evidence otherwise.
“These things will trigger a review over anything that could be changed in the park, but it shouldn’t be with an expectation that anything has gone wrong.”
Chief Inspector at Merton Police, Mark Lawrence, said: “The South Park Gardens incident is an isolated incident between parties that knew each other.
“We continue to be one of the lowest crime boroughs in London. Crime in Merton is actually down on last year.
“Incidents like this continue to cause us concern, but Merton continues to be one of the safest boroughs in London and people shouldn’t be alarmed.”Translation: "Just a shit-on-shit attack, folks, nothing to see here, move along..."
Meanwhile, in Bromley:
Ch Supt Hafford said...“This was an unfortunate one-off incident which ended up causing some distress for shoppers.
“Bromley is not a designated ‘gangs borough’, however, a recent Home Office peer review identified that, in common with many other places around the country, we are experiencing emerging gang issues.
“We are working with the council and other key partners to take action to keep our borough the safe and pleasant place it has always been.”
Councillor Kate Lymer, Bromley Council’s portfolio holder for public protection and safety who met with Ch Supt Hafford on Tuesday, said the row involved young people from another borough.
She said: “I want to reassure residents and shoppers that this was an isolated incident, nothing to do with terrorism, and involved young people from outside the borough fighting amongst themselves.
“Nonetheless, I can appreciate it was undoubtedly alarming for those who were there at the time.”And in Hull:
Superintendant Darren Downs said he was sure community was very "shocked and surprised" by what happened.
But he said: "I would like to reassure the communities that Humberside Police are investigating the incident and have two people in custody and are actively seeking further individuals we believe we are involved."
He said: " I would reassure people that, at this moment in time, it appears an isolated incident between individuals that are known to each other.
"At no time did Humberside Police fire any shots and we believe that it is safe for the public to revisit frequent and utilise the area around St Andrew's Quay."Hmmm, do these people all work to a script?