Taylor Search, 10, was found in the toilet of a bungalow in Beambridge, Basildon, on May 1, but died four days later at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Chelmsford Coroner’s Court heard the blaze probably started on his bunk bed just after 3pm as a result of “careless disposal of a smoking material or accidental misuse of a naked flame”.
Senior Essex coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray (Ed: Oh, hai!) said Taylor had a medical condition that left him unable to walk, but that he would get around the house on crutches or by crawling.Hmmm....
Taylor’s family did not attend the hearing but Mrs Beasley-Murray told police and fire officers: “What a tragic accident. Please would you express sympathy to the family on their tragic loss?”Why didn't they attend the hearing?
Assistant divisional fire officer Matthew Hare told the court a neighbour and Taylor’s mother, Helen, had attempted to rescue the youngster but were held back by the smoke.
Mr Hare said the initial 999 call was confusing and as a result it was not clear how many people were in the house.
He said during the call, Taylor’s mother told operators another youth had recently been at the house and said: “I don’t know what my son’s been doing in his bedroom.”Ah. Maybe that's why. So a fire starts at 3pm, with several adults present, and a 13 year old, and yet still a young boy loses his life?
Mr Hare said Mrs Search was a smoker but kept her cigarettes and lighter in a small portable safe.As you do...
Mr Hare said there were “still gaps in the circumstances” because fire officers had been unable to speak to Mrs Searcher.Hmmm....
Det Insp Anna Grainger, of Basildon CID, said an investigation found there were no suspicious circumstances.Really..?!