Saturday 9 September 2017

Why Is A Local Rag Giving This Man Free Publicity?

An online petition has been started in order to get Southend-raised BBC Radio 2 DJ, Steve Wright kicked off the air.
Eh...? By whom?
The petition, started by Andrew Warner, has already accumulated more than 250 signatures since it was started in July.
Ahahahaha! 250 signatures? That's nothing!
He recently had his salary revealed by the BBC, which stated that he earns between £500,000 and £549,999 per annum for his shows, making him the seventh highest earner at the BBC.
He was educated at Eastwood School, in Southend, and also delivered the Echo newspaper when he was younger.
Nice way to repay him, giving this crackpot some free publicity, then!
Writing on the website, Mr Warner says: “Steve Wright’s Radio 2 afternoon show is a daily round of endless sickening self-congratulation, toadying and God-awful attempts at humour by a DJ who should have been retired years ago.”
As well as its 250 plus signatures, a number of people made some scathing comments about the 62-year-old, criticising his work and urging him step down.
Oh noes! Scathing comments on the Internet! It's End Times, folks!
Andrew Beadle said: “I don’t know how long this man-child has been polluting my afternoons with his radio show. Until recently I assumed he was working for the BBC ‘gratis’ and that they felt too guilty to get rid of him.”
You are aware, are you not, that there's an 'off' button? Or indeed, other radio stations?
Jon Chilton added: “I’m forced to listen to Radio 2 at work and this show is the worst! Every aspect is annoying, particularly when he sings over the song. And what is Serious Jockin’ all about? His crew are absolutely rubbish too!”
Then have a word with your boss, or the colleagues that put Radio Two on. Because I don't this this loon is going to get anywhere with his petition:
...a BBC spokesman said: “Steve Wright remains hugely popular on Radio 2, with a weekly audience of 7.7 million listeners.”
So 250 Internet nobodies isn't going to have much impact.

5 comments:

jack ketch said...

I can understand Andrew's vexation. For a few months of my life I was compelled- by dint of it being the girlfriend's radio, 'my flat , my rules'- to listen to something called 'Danny Baker' of an early morning and that having been raised on the Shipping Forecast followed by the body count on Today....

By the time Danny started on that morning's 'Top Ten List' I could feel my brains leaking out of my nose into my first cup of coffee.

To misquote the Bible: "Three things are required. Three things doth a man need of an early Lahndahn morn; Cigarettes, coffee and John Humphreys explaining the plight of lesser crested tartan warbler on Shetland.

Anonymous said...

I would have thought that Jeremy Vine would have been a more legitimate target of the guy's ire. Tackling the issues that affect me apparently. The topics that he is inclined to discuss almost never have anything whatsoever to do with any aspect of my life. Him and his witless acolytes make you want to pick up your radio and throw it against the wall.

Stonyground

The Cowboy Online said...

The comments below the article are, umm, 'interesting'. Anyone else tempted to sign-up just to troll the tiresome 'Hiver' ?

Dr Evil said...

I listen to his show from time to time. It is light entertainment. It does not set out to be erudite or educational or to report on Nobel laureate-type research. Idiots!

JuliaM said...

"For a few months of my life I was compelled- by dint of it being the girlfriend's radio, 'my flat , my rules'- to listen to something called 'Danny Baker' ..."

Ah! The former 'Mastermind' contestant (who did a lot better than David Lammy)?

"I would have thought that Jeremy Vine would have been a more legitimate target of the guy's ire."

Well, indeed!

"Anyone else tempted to sign-up just to troll the tiresome 'Hiver' ?"

I'm banned by them... :(

"It is light entertainment. It does not set out to be erudite or educational or to report on Nobel laureate-type research."

There are, indeed, far more awful things to get exercised about...