Tuesday 1 October 2013

I Guess They're No Longer 'Out Of Touch With Changing Social Norms'...?

...at least as far as language is concerned:
A crown court judge has thrown out the case against a campaigner accused of vandalising a masterpiece by the English romantic painter John Constable.
...
Judge McCreath told the court an expert had concluded the damage had simply brought forward the painting's planned restoration, and the damage was put at £3,436 rather than the £30,000 the prosecution had originally said.
It was the rather un-legal language in which the verdict was delivered that surprised:
He said: "I'm simply quashing the indictment. End of."
I guess these guys can disband. Their work is done...

H/T: Meissen Bison via email

3 comments:

Rickie said...

Nice to hear plain speaking, perhaps they could do away with " my learned friend" and change it to "my mate".





***Don't forget its "STOPTOBER" and a celebration of those who managed to quit smoking and those who want to stop, get your free help packs online, hopefully they will sell those disease Halloween style masks too, which look they were based on Dick Puddlecote, Frank Clark and the one that's the spitting image of a young Pat Nurse.

Unknown said...

Nice to hear plain speaking, perhaps they could do away with " my learned friend" and change it to "my mate".

"My mate" could be how a QC refers to his or her junior. "M'learned friend", as the lawyer for the other side, would have to be "That Slag".

JuliaM said...

"Nice to hear plain speaking, perhaps they could do away with " my learned friend" and change it to "my mate"."

Innit, blud? ;)

""M'learned friend", as the lawyer for the other side, would have to be "That Slag"."

:D