Saturday 9 July 2011

Not The Most Convincing Explanation, Frankly…

The witness, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said SUK stood for Streets Under Kings, his group were just friends and denied Mr Henry, known as Spooky, carried out two stabbings, including one allegedly on a man called Dmitry.
He was confronted with his hip-hop lyrics by defence barrister Michael Wolkind QC, who recited verses referring to Kill Hill and containing the line, “rolling with a couple man, couple of burners in our hands”.
The witness replied: “It means a toaster,”…
Errrr, OK, if you say so…

But I have to say, apart from this Seventies classic, songs about lightly singed bread rarely make the charts…
… before adding: “You are bringing up something from when I was a young boy. I was like 14 or 13 years old.”
How unfair..!!
However, he then admitted the lyrics did refer to guns, but insisted there was no gang and denied involvement in drug-dealing and carrying weapons.
He said: “When I’m with my friends I haven’t seen them do no drug-dealing activities. I haven’t seen them carrying weapons round. What you think of them is up to you.

You can have your opinion. I’m telling you how it was.”
I think the judge’ll be telling you how it was. Dawg.


Update: Cheers to Mark Wadsworth for pointing me to a working copy of the song!

6 comments:

Mark Wadsworth said...

The link to "Toast" doesn't seem to be working.

Try this.

Smiley Culture said...

whateveah, yeah, ya feel me aight?

Anonymous said...

Without wishing to supply more credible defences to people on trial, if he had said "burners" were mobile phones as he understood it, then that at least would be more likely than him taking the Dualit for a walk

Shinar's Basket Case said...

" if he had said "burners" were mobile phones as he understood it, "

I'm sure it was perfectly clear to M'lord that the 'burners' referenced in the 'pop' song was actually a common corruption of the name 'berniere' and refered to the defendant's love of reading and habitually carry the works of Lious de Berniere with him when he was 'hanging' ,as I believe the young people today call it, with his 'Homies' as the local Conan Doyle Appreciation Society amusingly refer to themselves.

------

Never let it be said that Judges aren't 'up' on today's youth culture. Oh no....daddio.

Dr No No said...

“When I’m with my friends I haven’t seen them do no drug-dealing activities."

Ah, the power of the double-negative...

"So, young man, you are saying you did see them doing drug-dealing activities."

"What you sayin' man?"

"Just what you said."

"I didn't say nothing 'bout that, didn't I?"

The case continues

JuliaM said...

"...if he had said "burners" were mobile phones as he understood it, then that at least would be more likely than him taking the Dualit for a walk"

Agreed!

"Ah, the power of the double-negative..."

Oh, indeed, that grated, didn't it?