Wednesday 17 September 2014

Spotlight On The EU And Its Vital Work…

Controversial internet regulations have struck the Worcester News for the first time.
*gasp*
Google has removed a five-year-old article from its searches, as part of the controversial EU ‘right to be forgotten’ law.
Ah. One of those
The story in question was about artist Dan Roach, who received a scholarship from the University of Worcester in 2009. Published alongside the piece was this photograph of Mr Roach with some of his artwork from the time.
Okaaaay…

I’m baffled. So what? There’s no denying it really was his artwork, so what’s the problem?
In a statement to your Worcester News, Mr Roach said: “Since 2009, when the story and photograph originally appeared in the Worcester News, my paintings have developed; the work depicted in the 2009 article bears little resemblance to the paintings I’m now making.”
*nonplussed face*
“The popularity and high traffic of the Worcester News website meant that a search on Google would bring up an outdated image as the first item, which in turn meant that anyone researching my work may view it with an outdated perspective.
“I had hoped for some flexibility with the image in the piece, however the Worcester News explained they do not usually take articles down, something I fully respect.
“The decision to ask for the link to be removed from Google was based on no more than a wish to highlight my new work, rather than the old.”
You’re serious? You went to court to remove an old image of your work because your newer work is so much better?

And this is why a ‘right to be forgotten’ was considered so important by the EU?

5 comments:

Furor Teutonicus said...

PP “The popularity and high traffic of the Worcester News website meant that a search on Google would bring up an outdated image as the first item, which in turn meant that anyone researching my work may view it with an outdated perspective. PP

Kind of agree with him.

O.K the time scale is not the same, but....

When I look back on the Photos I made 30 years ago, I would want them buried as well. And when it is a business, then DAMN SURE I would want them buried.

Lord T said...

Well it worked.

I've forgotten him already.

Sounds like a win to me.

John M said...

Forget the EU law, what happened to the review process which was promised to weed out the stupid stuff?

andy5759 said...

I've got lots of stupid stuff which I would love to be forgotten. Unfortunately I live and move in a small community. There's always someone or something to remind me and others. But isn't that life? What a silly regulation, also potentially sinister. Whole histories will be rewritten. Thank Jock the UK won't exist soon, so England may not bother to seek EU membership.

JuliaM said...

"When I look back on the Photos I made 30 years ago, I would want them buried as well. "

:D

"Forget the EU law, what happened to the review process which was promised to weed out the stupid stuff?"

Like everything else, a lie.