Saturday 16 April 2016

I See You’ve Drawn The Obvious Conclusion From This…

New research into our own comment threads provides the first quantitative evidence for what female journalists have long suspected: that articles written by women attract more abuse and dismissive trolling than those written by men, regardless of what the article is about. Although the majority of our regular opinion writers are white men, we found that those who experienced the highest levels of abuse and dismissive trolling were not.
The 10 regular writers who got the most abuse were eight women (four white and four non-white) and two black men. Two of the women and one of the men were gay. And of the eight women in the “top 10”, one was Muslim and one Jewish.
And the 10 regular writers who got the least abuse? All men.
Maybe, just maybe, they drew this ‘abuse and dismissive trolling’ (which is often just the moderator’s terms for inconvenient facts that disprove the OP’s theory) because they are just no good at expressing themselves, or are demanding impossible things?

In fact, it’s possible that they were only picked to write for CiF in the first place because they ticked a diversity box, and not because their writing is any good, isn’t it?

But no, I’m sure you’re right, and it’s because your readers are all bigots…

Longrider is of the same opinion, I see:
"And let’s be clear here, the Guardian is a hotbed of misandry and racism. Telling them that will get you moderated. Their gaff, their rules of course, but everyone can see it for what it is, though."
Indeed they can.

5 comments:

John M said...

Bryony Gordon is at the crease today adding more runs to the "all men are pigs" narrative.

"I know what it's like to be called totty, because I've been called a slag" she wails! So what? I think - has Gordon never called a man a pig, a bastard or a wanker?

The hypocrisy is dripping off the walls at Guardian HQ. I'm amazed anyone can stand the smell in there.

Comments are off on Gordon's article - naturally.

Antisthenes said...

Apparently the new definition as expounded by a left wing think tank of libertarianism; believe in a small state, less intrusive government, fewer prohibitions, laws and regulations are EU and climate warming sceptics and are against being told by others how to live their lives are authoritarian. The BBC wholeheartedly agree with them it appears. I suspect the Guardian does to.

I consider myself a libertarian so in the guise of my new found authoritarianism I demand my TV licence fee and the taxes back that were taken away from me under the threat of force by those now designated as libertarians the BBC and the government and such like.

Andy said...

It's a free country. So they can tell us what to think.

staybryte said...

I don't know if it constitutes "trolling" in Gruan speak, but I had splendid fun with one CIF piece the other week, not having ventured there for a while.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/05/myron-yarde-knife-crime-school#comment-71946372

JuliaM said...

"I'm amazed anyone can stand the smell in there."

After a while, it must become the norm, if moderators ensure you never catch a whiff of any fresher air..

"I consider myself a libertarian so in the guise of my new found authoritarianism I demand my TV licence fee and the taxes back..."

Sauce for the goose!

"It's a free country. So they can tell us what to think."

Heh! Spot on.

"... I had splendid fun with one CIF piece the other week..."

/applause