Monday 1 June 2009

I Suppose All The 'Gratuitous Stabbing' Was OK With You, Though...?

The NuPuritans are at it again, and have turned their attention to film criticism this time:
American Medical Association Alliance President Sandi Frost used as her chief example of a movie with "gratuitous smoking" this month's blockbuster "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which was rated PG-13 "for intense sequences of action and violence, and some partial nudity."

"Millions of children have been exposed to the main star of the film, Hugh Jackman, with a cigar in his mouth in various scenes," Frost said. "I'm willing to bet that not one child would have enjoyed that movie or Mr. Jackman's performance any less if he hadn't been smoking."
/facepalm

You know what makes me want a cigarette right now, even though I’ve never smoked in my life?

The bloody AMAA, that’s what!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I'm willing to bet that not one child would have enjoyed that movie or Mr. Jackman's performance any more because he was smoking.
Children just don't think the way Frost thinks they do.
As you've never smoked, AP, I'll light one up for you and have two on the go.
I just wish Frost was here with me to appreciate them...

Jeff Wood said...

Aye, M'Dear, I too will have a gasper for you.

Somewhere in Arthur Clarke's oeuvre is a story in which past books, photographs, paintings and films are purged of all reference to tobacco, pipes and cigarettes. If I remember right, even the moves and gestures associated with smoking had to be reanimated.

I am sure that reaction against the nannies has kept me smoking for two decades after I should have stopped.

Stan said...

Isn't Wolverine self repairing or something? Presumably that means he could smoke to his heart's content and never suffer any ill effects - just like he doesn't seem to be bothered too much by being shot through the temple.

JuliaM said...

"Children just don't think the way Frost thinks they do."

Nope. The biggest factor in taking up smoking is considered to be peer-based, or parent-based, not fictional-character based.

And even that's not foolproof - my parents both smmoked like troopers, and if one of them had their hands full, I'd happily light up for them. Never felt the need to take it up myself, though.

"Somewhere in Arthur Clarke's oeuvre is a story in which past books, photographs, paintings and films are purged of all reference to tobacco, pipes and cigarettes."

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested by some barking pressure group (possibly even this one) now we've got so good at CGI.

Cretins, the lot of them...

JuliaM said...

"Isn't Wolverine self repairing or something? "

Indeed, making it doubly pointless, and they've even made reference to this in the comics.

Wait until they make the 'Avengers' movie - Nick Fury is rarely seen without a cigar, either!

SteveShark said...

I wonder if the 'A Team' movie will still have Hannibal puffing on a big cigar?
Or will that be left out for the public good?

JuliaM said...

Oh, I'd clean forgotten about that one!