Friday 14 December 2012

I Looked Up 'Gormless' In The Dictionary...

...and found these two specimens of Essex 'manhood' as illustrations of the definition:


Form an orderly queue, ladies!
Two thieves who stole a 'priceless' artwork by the sculptor Henry Moore and sold it at a scrapyard for £46 have each been jailed for a year.
Liam Hughes, 22, and 19-year-old Jason Parker stole the Working Model for Sundial - believed to be worth around half a million pounds - from the grounds of the Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire.
Now, I'm no Henry Moore fan, and I can't help but feel its scrap value isn't far off its actual worth to me.

But really...
Henry Moore is widely regarded as one of the most important British artists of the 20th Century, and his creations have fetched millions at auction.
Neither of the men had any idea of the true value of what they had taken, St Albans Crown Court heard.
Yes, well, for once, I'm inclined to actually believe the defence!

10 comments:

The Jannie said...

And the scrapman got - or did he grass the idiots up?

Mike R said...

As art critics these lads are aesthetically far superior to the art establishment phony balonies who praise garbage like Moore.

A K Haart said...

"I'm no Henry Moore fan, and I can't help but feel its scrap value isn't far off its actual worth to me."

Ha ha - me too.

MTG said...

"Yes, well, for once, I'm inclined to actually believe the defence!"

As all clever Southerners know, pudding recipes, Terriers, Brontë and the M1 South are the only redeeming features of Yorkshire, Julia.

Yet I wager this Southern pair are no less jaded above the neck than your average Essex scrounger.

Noggin the Nog said...

MTG,

You do Boycott a disservice, Sir!

MTG said...

@ Noggin

True enough, but Boycott leads to naming Hutton, then Fiery Fred....oh and Hutton and Illingworth, Vaughan......and there's more ;)

Twenty_Rothmans said...

So what?

The portrait of my grandmother as a girl means nothing to you, but anyone who nicked it would enjoy sandwiches with her in the afterlife if I could find him.

A Penny Black is a piece of paper, so's that twenty in your pocket. If anyone is mad enough to think that any of these items are actually worth something, why stand in their way?

I'd say it's a rather good state of affairs when an artwork can be worth half a million and a loaf of bread doesn't cost a piano.



Noggin the Nog said...

MTG,

Don't forget fat Freddie.

Show a straight bat Sir!

JuliaM said...

"And the scrapman got - or did he grass the idiots up?"

I haven't seen any mention of the scrapman, so you may be right...

"As all clever Southerners know, pudding recipes, Terriers, Brontë and the M1 South are the only redeeming features of Yorkshire, Julia."

You forgot the stunning lansdcape!

Anonymous said...

"You forgot the stunning lansdcape!"

What?? You have actually visited Yorkshire Sculpture Park?