Saturday 8 May 2021

What's 'Difficult' About It?

Police have responded to criticisms of the way they handled an unauthorised horse and trap race on the A33, saying “ultimately these are the difficult decisions policing has to make every day”.

Eh...? People are breaking the laws of the road. You arrest 'em. What's so difficult about that? 

It shouldn't matter who they are, or why they are doing it! 

A spokesperson said: “We know there has been a lot of interest in our decision to close the A33 due to an unauthorised horse and trap racing event on the A33 this weekend. 
“This type of action is not exclusive to this event, as with any large gatherings we have seen across the country this past year, policing always has to balance whether allowing an event to happen, even if illegal, is safer than the risks of shutting it down.
“We accept that this caused some disruption to the road network, but we are doing all we can to manage the situation.
“This is an illegal sporting event, and we do not support or facilitate it...

Wait a minute, hold on... 


Whew! For a minute there I thought I'd been using that word wrong all my life! I think a few of these might come in handy in the office, eh?



...however our primary role as the police is to protect the lives and safety of those that we serve. In order to do this the decision was made to put lane closures in place on the A33 and this was done for road safety reasons only.”

Translation: "We bottled it because we knew they'd kick off and we didn't fancy a ruck.." 

And what happens when you fail to act? 

That's right. You get more of the same.

...speaking at Micheldever Parish Council's AGM, Winchester district inspector John Stribley said it is unknown whether officers will be able to prevent the dangerous sport.
"I don't yet know whether we will be stopping the event, this is now being dealt with at a higher level. When I have the answer, I will let you know. Of course in an ideal world I would like something in place to stop such disruption, but as I say that decision won't be made by me."

Let's hope it's to be made by someone with some balls and a spine, then. Maybe Priti Patel, fresh from Conservative success in the elections, would like to step in and point out who and what these morons work for? 

H/T: I R Jackson via email

7 comments:

MTG said...

Well...let's not forget how robust 'policing' can be. The many times when plod found it necessary to attack unarmed pensioners or folk carrying white sticks, are well documented.

Steve T. said...

Sadly this is my constabulary, which is demanding a 7% increase in its precept so it can have more officers standing around and doing sod all.

Libertarian said...

I suppose you'd be arrested if you showed up and held an air horn competition alongside the road?

Anonymous said...

Wilful obstruction of the highway is still an arrestable offence. Nick the participants, seize the pony traps and send the horses somewhere they can be well treated as opposed to ill treated. An open letter to the Chief Constable and newly elected(?) PCC should elicit a response. If they fail or refuse to act, this will leave it open to any group of yobs to do the same, whether by car, moped, or electric scooters.
Penseivat

Stonyground said...

"This is an illegal sporting event, and we do not support or facilitate it..."

You closed off the effing road. You know, like they do on the Isle of Man to facilitate the TT races. These people are breaking the law, your job is to bring law breakers to justice. I've done lots of jobs throughout my working life, I've never had a job that involved me still getting paid without me actually having to do it.

Scrobs. said...

And there's me still thinking that racing on public roads was illegal!

Kent has just three mobile camera vans to deter speeders - wow.

JuliaM said...

"The many times when plod found it necessary to attack unarmed pensioners ..."

Yes, but enough about anti-vax protests and countryside alliance marches...

"Sadly this is my constabulary..."

You have my deepest sympathy. Not that mine is anything to write home about!

"I suppose you'd be arrested if you showed up and held an air horn competition alongside the road?"

Maybe not, if you could get enough people to do it with you?

"If they fail or refuse to act, this will leave it open to any group of yobs to do the same, whether by car, moped, or electric scooters."

We saw in Glasgow where it leads. And yet the Home Office is silent.

"I've done lots of jobs throughout my working life, I've never had a job that involved me still getting paid without me actually having to do it."

Me neither!

"And there's me still thinking that racing on public roads was illegal!"

It appears if you belong to the right group you can do as you please...