Mr Harriss recalled: “The ambulance crew were not very concerned about the dog bite, but they were concerned about her blood pressure and heartbeat. There was no obvious sign of infection and the wound was clean. They were particularly concerned she was very dehydrated after her sickness.
“It’s a very unusual occurrence. However, it’s concerning that A&E doctors are unaware that a dog bite which isn’t oozing pus or is a wound that needs stitches might still be a problem where the patient is exhibiting the signs of sepsis.
“The big question is bluntly: if she had been pumped full of antibiotics as soon as she got there, would that have made a difference? What is clear is that the hospital didn’t regard the dog bite as a problem. They were convinced at the time that she had died of Covid, and much of her treatment was Covid-related.
“The A&E and ICU doctors admitted they were completely unaware of this type of bacteria when I questioned them at the inquest. Not giving her antibiotics straight away seems to me ridiculous.”
Seems negligent to me.
Kathryn Halford, chief nurse at Barking, Havering and Redbridge NHS Trust, which runs King George hospital, said: “This was a very tragic case and our thoughts are with Mrs Alexander-Harriss’ family.
“This Prevention of Future Deaths report, addressed to Public Health England, will play an important role in raising awareness of the organism Capncytophagia canimorsus, among health professionals across the country.”
How many years have dogs been around..?