Saturday 11 June 2011

A Great Day Out...

...was had by all at Kew. Pics here, for any fans of closeups of interesting looking tree bark.

The weather could have been better, mind, but I suppose they are as pleased to see heavy rain as any suburban gardener contemplating a brown lawn and a damned hosepipe ban threat...

I was rather saddened to see that, even at such a slick marketing enterprise as Kew's gift shop (Ouch! My purse...) the dreaded grocer's apostrophe rears its ugly head:



*sigh*

6 comments:

Grammar Buddhist said...

I can forgive a grocer's (or should that be grocers') apostrophe. I can never forgive the use of the phrase 'forward thinking'.

Mjolinir said...

A tenner for - a plastic pot that 'lets you' grow indoor plants up-side-down.

Very natural.

Gibby Haynes said...

Jesus, look at that cactus with the big, red phallus-shaped things coming out of it. That gives e an idea for a sitcom.

Lerxst said...

The 'things' are flowers. I used to have a couple of 3 foot tall specimens of these at home many years ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleistocactus_strausii.

When they flowered each year, the innuendo was rife....

JuliaM said...

" I can never forgive the use of the phrase 'forward thinking'."

Corporate horror, isn't it?

"A tenner for - a plastic pot that 'lets you' grow indoor plants up-side-down."

I think someone saw the trend for upside-down tomato growers and thought 'Aha!'

"Jesus, look at that cactus with the big, red phallus-shaped things coming out of it. "

Bizarre, aren't they?

"When they flowered each year, the innuendo was rife...."

I should have taken a pic of the coco-de-mer... ;)

Mr Angry said...

Don't forget that Tesco's (sic) also balls up.

http://cedo-nulli.blogspot.com/search/label/Illiteracy