Saturday 15 September 2012

I Guess It Depends On Which ‘Section Of Society’ You Are Talking About…

What’s left to say about Hillsborough and the surrounding furore and orgy of outrage that hasn’t already been summed up so well by Anna’s brave post or Obo’s libertarian observation, or indeed Laban’s musings on the way history is being changed right before our eyes?

But this ‘Guardian’ editorial deserves a special mention for the sheer brazen chutzpah it displays:
Although we are fortunate to live in times that are not quite as divisive, this sort of conduct is a reminder of where it can lead when one section of society sneers at another.
Yeeeeeees, there’s absolutely no ‘sneering at others’ allowed in the pages of the ‘Guardian’, ever, is there? 

The paper that continually regales us with diatribes against ‘the rich’, ‘bankers and their bonuses’, ‘climate change deniers’, ‘US Republican voters’, ‘Catholic priests and their cover-ups’….

And there I'd have left it, sick of the mawkish griefwhores and the rolling compensation bandwagon of it all, if not for two things, yesterday afternoon.

First, while many people commented at Anna's post and took exception to what she'd read, there was one obsessive, creepy, threatening little individual who was not content to simply disagree and then go away, and decided to resort to the sort of threatening behaviour that we've come to expect from a certain section of society:



All this while the embassies in several Middle Eastern countries were battening down the hatches. What's the difference, really, between the hordes there and the fruitcakes here?

Then, on Twitter, this was ReTweeted into my timeline:




Yes, this character was Tweeting that he'd got someone the sack for something he'd written on Twitter. He was proud of it.

So, I checked this character out. Who would do such a thing, and why?


Ahhh, yes. An anonymous account, styling himself on a famous film.

Doing anything useful or funny with it? No. Sadly not. Just some sort of half-assed 'avenger' determined to ensure that everyone has only one opinion on the Hillsborough tragedy, and it better agree with his, or else!

I can't wait for 'Taken 3', when Liam's character hunts down the bad guys and...complains to their bosses they've been mean to others on Twitter in an effort to get them sacked, like the sad, inadequate little whiny-assed bitch this idiot must see every time he looks in the mirror.

I'm sure it'll be a blockbuster!

11 comments:

Farehneit211 said...

What a shitboy. With that sort of finger wagging censoriousness I'd lay money on this tool being somewhere on the left of the political spectrum. That whining to teacher about people and their opinions is also the style of the more creepy bits of the left.

MTG said...

Farehneit211

Your Physics disappoint but your microaggressions are just adorable. Given any thought to a career in the police (cough) service? Lovely work.

Anonymous said...

Bunny

I read Anna's referenced piece and agreed with some and disagreed with others. Also as a fellow scouser (Croxteth) and also long since left I found the bloke Leo a touch strange on the bizarre scale of rantings. I am with Farehneit211 on this one.

Farenheit211 said...

Anon I also found that I both agreed and disagreed with Anna's piece.

I think that people who are born in or have lived in a place for a while will comment on it sometimes negatively and sometimes positively.

could easily come up with negatives for the place where I was born. The problem is I can't think of any positives when I look at how it seems to have de-evolved.

Macheath said...

Though I didn't weigh into the debate at the Raccoon Arms, I watched it unfold and was struck early on by the timely analogy that you point out.

Leo's relentless perseverance (still going strong today at 4.30pm) has much in common with the demonstrators; that inability to walk away is, I suspect, at the root of a vast amount of man's inhumanity to man.

Anna may have employed the club of satire rather than her customary rapier but that is surely the landlady's prerogative.

I seem to remember Voltaire (or rather his biographer) had something to say on the matter...

Noggin the Nog said...

Julia,

Either my iPad is duff, your link is dead or someone has banjaxed Anna's piece, as everytime I try to view it my browser crashes.

Is it just me, or are others having trouble seeing it?

banned said...

@Noggin..., just worked fine for me.

I have just two experiences of Liverpool folk.
1) Visiting someone who lived in one of four towerblocks dumped randomly in a filed. His first words were "have you given someone a quid to mind yer car?"

"Yes, but he looked about 7 years old (one of many), couldn't protect my car for toffee"

"Doesn't matter, just so long as you gave someone a quid yer car'll be safe, probably".

2) Leaving Liverpool Airport and in need of ciggies I drove towards a sad semi-circle of shops; only the off-license was open but as I got out of my car I became aware of small groups emerging from the gloaming, like something from a zombie movie. I thought better of it and headed for the motorway services.

I've mentioned this to a couple of escaped Scousers since and they confirmed that, had I not resisted, they would probably have just taken my car and wallet and might even have given me the bus fare into town had I remained polite.

Neither of these things have happened to me anywhere else.

Noggin to Nog said...

I went to a Liverpool match 20 odd years ago, and needed some matches for a fag. Walking down Anfield road, I spotted a small shop and went to buy some. As I opened the door I could literally only get about 6 inches into the shop. I was faced with a steel mesh barricade which covered the entire front of the shop, door and windows, with a counter top immediately behind it. There was a small slot in the mesh for goods to be passed through, with a man standing nearby. I was a bit surprised at the 'security' but requested the matches with a smile that was met with a grunt. The man shuffled off and returned with the matches, which I was expecting to be pushed through the slot. I waited, looking awkwardly at the man, and waited, then I realised he was waiting for the 5 pence to be pushed through the slot first.

That's when I knew I was in an entirely different world.

Louise said...

I've never bee treated with anything other than warmth and friendliness by Liverpudlians when I visited my family in that city and they are part of the Irish Diaspora. Most of them are Daily Mail reading Conservatives. How weird is THAT?

JuliaM said...

"With that sort of finger wagging censoriousness I'd lay money on this tool being somewhere on the left of the political spectrum."

He'll be a good recruit for this new 'service' launched by a fakecharity, won't he?

"..much in common with the demonstrators; that inability to walk away is, I suspect, at the root of a vast amount of man's inhumanity to man."

Yes, very much so!

"Is it just me, or are others having trouble seeing it?"

It's still working fine for me - tried it on PC and on iPad.

"...then I realised he was waiting for the 5 pence to be pushed through the slot first."

*boggle*

Louise said...

"First, while many people commented at Anna's post and took exception to what she'd read, there was one obsessive, creepy, threatening little individual who was not content to simply disagree and then go away, and decided to resort to the sort of threatening behaviour that we've come to expect from a certain section of society:"

A "certain section of society"?

You mean middle class Ameican college students from Ivy League Colleges?

And "brave" isn't really the word I'd use to describe Dr. Raccoon's post either.