In a statement read to Brighton Coroner’s Court yesterday, Mr Godfrey said: “I walked into the living room and saw Dave there.
“Both of his arms were up in a stance as if he was trying to grab something. I didn’t see Dave’s phone anywhere.
“I saw his two crack pipes. They were both smashed up.
“I was in a shocked state and phoned 999 without tidying up.
“He was a good friend of mine. I have known him for 17 years.”I'm amazed he survived that long!
He said that Mr Shaw, who had a degree in chemistry, preferred to make his own crack instead of buying it off street dealers and that he only knew of him taking heroin once or twice before.
Toxicology tests carried out after his death found a mixture of heroin, cocaine and prescription drugs, including a small amount of tramadol and benzodiazepine, in his system.Hardly a gifted amateur, then.
Police said later a 28-year-old man had been arrested in connection with the supply of heroin and released under investigation.
The investigation is now closed with no further action taken.Even the police can't be bothered. Who can blame them?