Friday 25 March 2011

‘Eco-Construction’..?

A sustainability-themed version of Top Trumps has been launched at Kingston University.
Eco-construction trumps look at the qualities of different construction materials, such as the toxicity, durability and ease of recycling.
I'm sure it'll be a huge hit...
The game was developed over six months as a teaching tool for surveying students, by Kingston University PhD student John Clarke.
Indoctrinate 'em young!
Mr Clarke said: “At this stage, my calculations are provoking debate among sustainability experts, which I see as a positive thing – I am taking their feedback on board as I develop the cards.”
I wonder just what the 'debate' is..?
"When I became interested in eco-construction, one of my biggest challenges was to persuade my Dad.

"He was a self-employed builder who spent his working life trying to keep costs manageable, so it took a while to persuade him that what seemed a more expensive, sustainable building material could make more economic sense in the long run."
I bet it did!
"Now Dad’s come round to my way of thinking, I’m confident I can win over anyone."
Better not hire Mr Clarke’s dad to do any building work, folks. It’ll cost you…

6 comments:

Gnostic said...

I've seen the flimsy, jerry built crap that passes for modern dwellings. I'll stick to old fashioned bricks and mortar thanks.

jd said...

That's ok Gnostic, it's the concrete built stuff that the greenies really object to, though normally not on aesthetic grounds bizarrely.

The stain in sustain said...

I love the word 'sustainability' as it creeps in everywhere the loons go.

It really doesn't mean anything but you can throw it around in the confident knowledge you will be applauded by ecoloons and various weasel wordsmiths alike.

Even better, there are sustainability experts, too. But tell me, will they be around in ten years time? Will they, er, be sustainable?

microdave said...

I've had the following text (which I copied from one of fathers building industry magazines) lurking on my PC for a while. It shows how far the "Sustainable" influence has spread...

"Carbon is becoming a central design question in reinforced concrete construction. Environmental performance of structures, and therefore of the materials that go into them, is becoming as important as functional performance. This is because the carbon footprint has implications for the life-cycle assessment of the structure in determining whether it is sustainable. Clients, designers, contractors and material producers and suppliers must therefore take this issue seriously. To do this effectively there is an urgent need for accurate, complete and consistent environmental data to enable these parties to make informed decisions. In response to this challenge for credible and reliable environmental data, CARES have developed a sustainable reinforcing steel scheme that quantifies the environmental impact of the reinforcing steel supply chain. One such quantitative measure is the carbon footprint. In the absence of a National or International standard, CARES has developed a methodology that will enable firms in the reinforcing steel supply chain to establish their carbon footprint data in a consistent and transparent way. In so doing CARES-approved firms, from steel makers through to processors and those delivering steel to site, will not only assure consistent compliance with the functional performance requirements but also, via a similar audit process throughout the supply chain, ensure that environmental data recorded by approved firms is both accurate and verifiable. All reinforcing steels produced by CARES-approved firms are uniquely identified. When steel arrives on site, no testing is required, so avoiding unnecessary and costly delays."

CARES are this outfit: http://www.ukcares.co.uk/

Sorry for the lengthy content, but I'm wondering how this fits in with the closing down of large steel plants in the UK, claiming "carbon credits" and then building new plants in India which don't have to comply with our stringent standards - Mr Pachuri & Tata, anyone?

I trust John Clarke's dad will be using "Eco Steel" in that kitchen extension he's working on....

English Viking said...

Did it really take 6 months to come up with this nonsense?

What did they do for the rest of the 5 months, 3 weeks, 6 days and 23 and 1 half hours?

JuliaM said...

"I love the word 'sustainability' as it creeps in everywhere the loons go."

Indeed. Check out Microdave's comment!

"I trust John Clarke's dad will be using "Eco Steel" in that kitchen extension he's working on...."

Good grief!

"What did they do for the rest of the 5 months, 3 weeks, 6 days and 23 and 1 half hours?"

What students usually do, of course! ;)