Monday 14 March 2011

Suuuuuuure They Will….

Work-shy benefit claimants will be forced to do compulsory work in exchange for welfare under radical rules imposed in Parliament today.

*sigh*

This is clearly the Coalition’s equivalent of Blair’s claim that yobs would be marched straight to a cashpoint to suffer an immediate fine.

Were they? No.

Candidates will only be referred for a compulsory work placement if a Jobcentre Plus adviser believes they are deliberately avoiding trying to get a job or would benefit from getting into the ‘habits and routines’ of getting up every morning.

And just who is that minimum-waged, minimally-competent civil servant going to send for this scheme?

The tattooed, bull-necked, never-done-a-day’s-work-in-his-life underclass yob, who might wait outside the Jobcentre for that worker to go on a break? Or the recently made redundant middle class officer manager who wouldn’t say boo to a goose?

The scheme will be aimed particularly at those who refuse to help themselves in seeking work.

No it won’t.

The people administering it will take the path of least resistance, like they always do…

10 comments:

Tim Almond said...

Hang on, aren't people already getting their benefit cuts if they refuse to actively look for work? Is the government saying that Jobcentre Plus* offices don't do this? And if they're not doing it now, why would they in future?

PT said...

Nailed it!

Pavlov's Cat said...

if a Jobcentre Plus adviser believes they are deliberately avoiding trying to get a job

Sometimes I hope my contract isn't extended, Although I do like to think I'm personally more than competant.But I get your drift

Anonymous said...

"The people administering it will take the path of least resistance, like they always do"
Now, how the hell did you find that out? You must have deep insights!

funemployed said...

Bull-neck will have a wad of excuses at the ready. Redundant won't have a clue how the system works.

But I expect he or she will learn.

Bob said...

I'm being considered for this slavery. It will do two things.

1 Makes me work for less than minimum wage in some shop. I thought that was illegal.

2 Means I cannot spend any time looking for a job during the day. The time I spend on this will mean I will not get a job for that period because I will be out of contact during the day.

On the plus side I can case the joint for as much free goodies as I can handle.

Anonymous said...

Getting a 'bull neck' can involve quite a bit of physical activity

JuliaM said...

"Hang on, aren't people already getting their benefit cuts if they refuse to actively look for work? "

That's always been my assumption too.

"Sometimes I hope my contract isn't extended..."

Oh, indeed!

"Bull-neck will have a wad of excuses at the ready. Redundant won't have a clue how the system works."

Good point.

"On the plus side I can case the joint for as much free goodies as I can handle."

:D

UK Fred said...

I can remember being redundant during the 1990's and being sacked from a jobclub which had been contractd out to Adecco Alfred Marks. We were expected to write three speculative letters each day and each had to be personal to the addressee. Two of us in the jobclub learned how to mail-merge and spent the days when we are not there getting lists of contacts and potential employers. By sending off somewhere around 50 letters a session, we were costing the contractor money, so we had to go. Unless there is an incentive to find work and an incetive for the jobclub to encourage its members to find work, then the whole system will be stuffed.

Pavlov's Cat said...

Bull neck does get his benefits stopped on occasion. But this is often the result. At the time he was trying to 'get to' the member of staff who he considered 'to blame'.

BEXLEY: Man jailed for job centre attack