Saturday 13 December 2014

Hang On, Asking If The Venue Is A Gay Bar Is Now ‘Homophobic’..?

Good grief, I don’t understand why the stereotype of the hysterical gay man persists, do you?
The owner of a north London bar cancelled an international company's Christmas party after organisers asked if it was a gay venue.
Yes. That’s all. Just asked. Are they not entitled to do this?
The company, which Proud is not naming, wrote: "We have our Christmas staff party booked for next Friday at Proud.
"Some of our staff have been told that Proud is a gay bar, is that correct?"
The email continued: "We need to know as it's against some people religion (sic) so we will need to make them aware."
They weren’t planning to cancel their booking, just let their staff know in case they’d rather not attend. And so they wouldn’t have to face a stroppy employee claiming their own religious rights had been ignored. That’s all.

But toys exited pram at warp velocity, as business owner had mega hissy fit:
Proud responded to the request within hours to tell the company that their party would be cancelled. He wrote: "I think we best cancel your visit. We are pretty gay and a lot of gay stuff happens here.
"Gay drinks, gay food, gay loos etc..."
He added: "Sorry to disappoint. Booking cancelled."
Good grief!
He told BuzzFeed the cancellation would cost him thousands of pounds if another company does not book the venue.
Here’s hoping he doesn't. After all, his precious principles are worth a little sacrifice, aren't they?
He added: "I was relieved to get that email because I wouldn’t have wanted those people in my venue anyway.
"I think some people think homophobia is a thing of the past – there were a lot of people out there who think it’s a fair question. A lot of people think you can justify homophobia using religion."
It IS a fair question, you moron! Acting like you’ve done is hardly going to foster tolerance, now, is it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Homophobia must be incredibly rare because "phobia" is a debilitating onset of terror. For instance my mum has a frog phobia and goes into the house and locks the doors if she sees one in the garden.
So most people aren't homphobic; they just dislike homosexuals, especially over-dramatic permanently-offended ones with an infalted sense of entitlement.

Weekend Yachtsman said...

I think if I came across a bar called "Proud" I probably wouldn't feel the need to ask that particular question.

Just sayin'

Anonymous said...

I think the owner of the bar might like to ponder on why a previously dwindling amount of "homophobia" has recently increased dramatically. He might also like to study any correlation with the increase in vibrant diversity we've been enjoying over the last few years.
He might like then like to address his ire at the causes of the intolerance rather than the poor bastards in the company who know they can't win whatever they do.
Of course the bar owner might like to make sure his affairs are in order before he does actually address the cause of the problem.

andy5759 said...

Who on earth would want to dine on "gay" food, and use "gay" toilets? Gimme Maccy Dee's any day. I don't dislike people for whom or what they are, if a venue is likely to make me uncomfortable I would not go there. They will be better off without me, and maybe I'm missing something.

JuliaM said...

"So most people aren't homphobic; they just dislike homosexuals..."

Spot on!

"I think if I came across a bar called "Proud" I probably wouldn't feel the need to ask that particular question."

It might be a foreign company unclear on Western euphemisms?

"Of course the bar owner might like to make sure his affairs are in order before he does actually address the cause of the problem."

Heh!

"Who on earth would want to dine on "gay" food, and use "gay" toilets?"

I'd like to know what they are..!