Friday 19 October 2018

“The Truth? No! I Can’t Handle The Truth!”

Karen Kerridge, headteacher of Appleton School, slammed the ambulance service after Hannah Rowe, 13, was left waiting following a fall at the school during a break time.
Why was she 'left waiting'..?
Sharon Rowe, 47, from Pitsea, is upset the service said her daughter was not a priority as she was conscious and breathing despite the level of pain.
Yup, that's what 'emergency ambulance' means. A dislocated knee is painful, I'm sure, but she's unlikely to die.

Here's a nice man from the emergency services to explain it to you and the headmistress (who should have known better):
A spokesman from the ambulance service said: “We always regret any distress caused when patients have to wait to be assessed and treated.
“At the time of this incident, we were experiencing a very high level of calls.
“More than half of the incidents we respond to every day are to people with serious or life-threatening conditions. We focus on our sickest patients first, and unfortunately at times of high demand that means that people with non-life threatening injuries can experience longer waits for an ambulance.
“When we have high numbers of calls, we will call patients back to check on their welfare and if their condition has changed. We understand that at this incident a nurse was at the scene with the patient who was able to advise us.”
Clear now?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I broke and dislocated my elbow in 1968 , and it was dislocated for 6 hours... i wouldnt wish the pain on anyone.. regards Robbo

Agammamon said...

I remember the days when an injury like this girl's would have meant being helped into someone's car and driven to the emergency room - if for no other reason than there was no point in waiting and no one's going to want to pay that bill anyway.

JuliaM said...

"I broke and dislocated my elbow in 1968 , and it was dislocated for 6 hours... i wouldnt wish the pain on anyone.. "

I don't doubt it's painful. But it's not an emergency!

"I remember the days when an injury like this girl's would have meant being helped into someone's car and driven to the emergency room..."

I fractured a bone in my arm falling in my driveway. I got a taxi to Casualty. Back in the office, everyone assumed I called an ambulance, and were genuinely baffled that I didn't. How did we get to this state?