Tuesday 21 October 2014

In Today’s ‘Can’t Buy Publicity Like This!’ News…

One shopper reported they were “up in arms” about the decision to place three items reading the slogan “it was all ******* awesome” in the shop front window in the shopping centre.
*yawns*

Of course, the bandwagon-jumpers and ‘look at me, I have my name in the paper!’ crowd are jumping up & down:
Claire Jones-Hughes, from Brighton Mums, said while swearing is part of modern language it is still offensive.
Ms Jones-Hughes said: “It is misguided and irresponsible to have in a location where children can see it.
“Especially age groups which are impressionable and don't fully understand the impact of bad language.
“We have to accept swearing is part of modern language but is offensive to some and we all need to respect that.”
Do we? Why?
Sussi Lassen, Director of Improve Your English International, said she wondered if the owner of the store was aware of the F-word being used as a marketing tool.
Ms Lassen said: “I am not quite sure about the ranking of the word in question according to the book Forbidden Words by Keith Allen and Kate Burridge. But from my source, a study by Timothy B Jay, it is number three on the list.
“As a teacher of English as a foreign language I cannot recommend it.
“My students would come across as very rude if they were using this word.
“I wonder if the owner of the shop knows it is in the window and consented to this marketing tool?”
I bet they did. It’s free!

3 comments:

James Higham said...

Look, this is me, James Higham and I have my name up in Julia's comments thread.

Furor Teutonicus said...

AA Claire Jones-Hughes, from Brighton Mums, said while swearing is part of modern language it is still offensive. AA

Fuck off you stupid whore and get a fucking life! Stupid bitch.

JuliaM said...

'Brighton Mums'. Says it all. I suppose there's no equivalent 'Brighton Dads'?